Advanced Phonics Rules
Help Kids Read & Spell With Confidence!
Spelling And Phonics Rules
Writing Road To Reading
Memorize the spelling and phonics rules. As a teacher and over time, you'll be so glad you did!
You'll use them daily and many childre will absorb them through the year.
Easy Phonics rules are a big help when you are teaching phonics.
Basic Phonics Rules
After learning the sounds, the rules are a short cut to both teacher and student success.
These are the main rules:
- "The letter q is always followed by u and together they say /kw/. The u is not considered a vowel here." (I add that this does not apply to commercial nicknames like Qwik Shop.)
- "The leter c before e, i, or y says /s/ (cent, city, cycle), but followed by any other letter says /k/ (cat, cot, cut).
- "The letter g before e, i, or y may say /j/ (page, giant, gym), but followed by any other letter says g (gate, go, gust). The letters e and i following g do not always make the g say /j/ (get, girl, give).
- "Vowels a, e, o, and u usually say /A/, /E/, /O/, and /U/ (long vowel sounds) at the end of a syllable (navy, me, o pen, mu sic).
- "The letters i and y usually say /i/ (short vowel sound) (big, gym), but may say /I/ (long vowel sound) (si lent, my, type).
- "The letter y, not i, is used at the end of an English word (my).
- "There are five kinds of silent final e". (In short words such as me, she, and he the e says the long vowel sound, but in longer words where a single e appears at the end, the e is usually silent).
Get My Free PrintNPractice Newsletters!
Free Online Worksheets For School At Home And Interactive Notebooks
Free Online Teacher Resources - Free Homeschool Curriculum
For teachers and parents: PrintNPractice free printable worksheets are all copyright-free, digital PDFs. Use in interactive notebooks for online classrooms, Google classroom, distance learning, tutoring and learning pods, and hybrid school.
- No prep.
- Self learning.
- Copyright free.
- Lifetime license.
- Easy drill-and-kill.
- Interactive worksheets.
- Paperless morning work.
- Go printable or paperless.
- Stay on track. Summer review.
- Easy elementary school curriculum.
- Morning work. Remote learning packets.
- Most need no answer key or key is included.
- Videos for audio learners. God bless headphones!
See free teacher, homeschool, digital interactive school-at-home learning exercises with no login, no sign-up, no voucher, no account, and no credit card. Loads of digital activities for device-based learning. As seen at TeachersPayTeachers.
Phonics Rules Blend Phonograms Into Spelling Success
These easy phonics rules help the whole study of phonics and spelling come together. The very same rules are often called Spelling Rules. They teach how words are built and the correct phonograms to write the right word.
Learning the basic sounds is so important. The rules are next. Combine the two for easier reading comprehension.
Practice the easy Phonics rules so that it is easier for you to help your students practice reading, writing, and spelling. You'll have the rules handy to give clues when necessary. You'll love the results in just a few months' work.
The most concise source of information for this that I have found is Romalda Spalding's way of teaching reading skills in The Writing Road To Reading. Her book shows 29 simple rules for phonics including the "i before e except after c" rule, because the rules are what's next after learning the sounds of the phonograms in making reading and writing easier.
Mrs. Spalding's work and Dr. Mary North's expansions have covered the info necessary for most students to be able to learn to read and write with a very concise program. This book also has a scope and sequence that many schools require and it goes from Kindergarten through Sixth Grade (and beyond if necessary). I really, really recommend that you get their book or something based on the same Orton principles. (See my descriptions here: WRTR, Beers)
Use Phonics Rules With The Phonograms
If you're unfamiliar with the sounds that the phonograms make, review our Phonics video below to become familiar with the 72 phonogram sounds and to hear the individual sounds of the letters.
Your students can use the videos for independent student review, too, although I'd be sure to help them in person first.
After your students know the sounds, they can begin to apply the rules of phonics for the correct spelling of words. It is said that if you know the first notebook page of the Spalding phonics notebook you can get an 85% average in spelling. Most of the Orton programs use this very same notebook page.
I have seen even seventh grade children get to this average of 85% within two months after years of "wham-wham-hope-you-know-it" memorization of spelling words.
Start with the basic alphabetical letters and note some of the spelling rules from page 223 of Romalda Spalding's The Writing Road To Reading and see our printable phonics worksheets here.
72 Phonograms Video
Buy All 190+ Phonics Worksheets And Phonics Flashcards In One Bundle
- Buy 190+ interactive printable phonics worksheets and alphabet flash cards.
- Model sounds with dictation.
- Kids practice saying and writing phonograms, blends, and digraphs.
Digital Interactive Printables
Printable Phonics Worksheets Download $9.98
Learn The Basic Phonics Lessons
If you're familiar with the sometimes giant effort necessary to help children learn sight words, you'll love what that same effort can do by teaching the phonics sounds and rules.
At the beginning, the more often you review the sounds in words, the easier the children will learn them over time. See the basic phonics lessons for easy review here.
Buy Our Phonics Worksheets In Bundles: Phonics, Spelling, And Reading
Buy the bundle of our online phonics worksheets in one digital download for ad-free access to phonics practice for your elementary school students at school or at home.
Homeschool worksheets for spelling practice and Robert Louis Stevenson's poetry handwriting worksheets make great ESL printable worksheets. Enjoy!
More Phonics Worksheets, Videos, and Books
Mary Fifer, BSBA is webmaster, author, and researcher at PrintNPractice.com. She has created elementary school practice exercises using digital interactive worksheets. Printable and perfect for today's teachers, tutors, homeschoolers, and students!
Thank you for visiting and for sharing. :-)